Thursday, September 07, 2006

Pigeons, Running and Cortisone

Twenty-eight years of running doesn't come without some injuries. I have experienced foot and ankle problems in my last eight years of running. Of course, wakeboarding does a number on the feet and ankles, and that has been another sport of favor for the last seven years of my adult life. I'm not sure if it's the running, wakeboarding or both, but my recent long runs have played heck with the ability to walk the next day. Think of the elderly Post Office Clerk slowly shuffling to and fro, doing his best to expedite your mail service — well, that's my next job. I've become an expert morning shuffler. It's kinda embarrassing, humbling and disconcerting — a sure sign that I'm getting older and the body is "falling apart."
“Damn, I hate to admit that!”
Enter the pigeons.
These flying rodents were (somehow) an influence in my lineage and I was born to walk pigeon-toed. That's what the sport doc told me when I met with him Wednesday morning. He said I walked pigeon-toed as a kid and now my feet are paying the price with an awkward running style. Huh? After a solid hour of consultation, and considering my various options, I agreed to try some cortisone injections in both ankles. What the heck, I wasn't going to be able to get rid of the pigeon stigma, but maybe lubing the joints would be a nice compromise.
Thursday morning I stretched my legs and joints. For the first time in years I didn't hear the familiar sound of popping and cracking in my ankles. My six-mile run was without incident. There was one moment I shared with my winged brethren as I ran past them Thursday morning and forced their unhappy walk and quick flight.

"Out of my way pigeons!"

"Sorry guys, I know how to fix that if you'd like."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pain killers work great. I especially like dilaudid and alcohol....

Anonymous said...

OK, SO I'M 41 AND FLASHING BACK! WHEN I WAS IN THE 5TH GRADE-1970 SOMETHING, I WAS ENROLLED IN A VERY BASIC GYMNASTIC PROGRAM. I DID IT FOR FUN, BUT SOON FOUND OUT I WAS OVERWEIGHT AND RAN FUNNY. APPARENTELY I RAN W/ MY TOES POINTED OUTWARD---LIKE A DUCK! SO I RAN CIRCLES-LOUDLY. PEOPLE ARE, IS IT RIGHT OR WRONG?! SO TO YOU THE PIGEON, I SAY FLY AND ENJOY THE VIEW! FROM THE DUCK! CARA LOU

Anonymous said...

Need the name of the doctor....my feet are killing me