Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Don't Run Unless You're a "Purist"

Margaret sent an email to me yesterday with a link to the website “Slate”.
The story she wanted me to read was…

"Running With Slowpokes"
HOW SLUGGISH NEWBIES RUINED THE MARATHON.
By Gabriel Sherman

In a world filled with obesity how can ANY journalist challenge individuals in their quest to run a marathon?
I imagine this elitist would prefer all “non purists” to continue along their slothful ways and not disrupt his morning race.
I’ve pulled some quotes that were quite amusing.

“Chances are you've bumped into a newly devoted runner who's all too happy to tell you about his heart-rate monitor and split times and the looming, character-building challenge of running 26.2 miles. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a slovenly couch potato who abhors exercise. I'm an avid runner with six marathons under my New Balance trainers. But this growing army of giddy marathon rookies is so irksome that I'm about ready to retire my racing shoes and pick up bridge”.

“Back then, Americans who ran took running seriously. The icons of the era were Frank Shorter and Bill Rodgers, a couple of guys who happened to be the best marathoners in the world. Now, P. Diddy and Oprah spark tons of media buzz for finishing marathons in lackluster times. American record-holder Deena Kastor, who won the 2005 Chicago Marathon in 2:21, is completely anonymous”.

“In many ways, the slow marathon is the perfect event for the American athletic sensibility. Just finishing a marathon is akin to joining a gym and then putzing around on the stationary bike. We feel good about creating the appearance of accomplishment, yet aren't willing to sacrifice for true gains. It's clear now that anyone can finish a marathon. Maybe it's time we raise our standards to see who can run one”.

The rest of the article can be found at the link below.

http://www.slate.com/id/2149867/?GT1=8592

1 comment:

Chris said...

Notice the hate he feels? Gotta feel sorry for someone like that. How he finishes his marathon doesn't bother me. Why should how I finish mine bother him?