Sunday, November 05, 2006

Blood IS thicker than water - but don't give a pint and imagine it to be AS thick.

I'm still learning about human physiology.
Donating blood has been an "on-again, off-again" personal effort since I was in college.
Blood is life and you're reminded every time that you enter a blood donation center that your gift of blood will possibly save a life. A small amount of selfless energy and someone in a possible life struggle is given renewed opportunity. The blood I donated Friday afternoon (one day before I ran 23 miles) was going to a young girl with Leukemia.
When I got the call Thursday evening with a request to come in the next day to donate blood I did not think twice. "Sure I'll be there." Giving blood takes about 45 minutes. Recovery from a blood donation takes a little longer. If you are a distance runner losing a pint of blood is a bigger deal than I understood.
I attempted short runs on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday after the blood donation and a twenty three mile training run. Lethargic is an understatement. Thursday and Friday I did not run. Saturday morning I ran the slowest 10k (6.2 miles) in recent memory.
Disappointed about my past week of training and another poor race finish I determined to learn more about the effects of blood donation on runners. It turns out that runner/blood donors are not an unusual breed.
I found dozens of articles on line that were related to this topic. The link below is not deep in science but helped me come to terms with what had taken place. I am hopeful that my final month of training is productive. I expect to return to my previous strength this week. The doubts are still a burden. Live and learn.
Thanks for your support.
http://www.devinesports.com/Article.7+M55dac229b17.0.html?&cHash=bb86d54d5a

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're too hard on yourself - not too bad a time on Saturday. Well within River Run qualifying time. Just have to keep running...

Jonathan

Anonymous said...

"It turns out that runner/blood donors are not an unusual breed."

I would both disagree and concur.

Disagree: I imagine runner/blood donors are a very small percentage of the general population and most of the "normal" folks would consider us a VERY unusal breed. "What are you...INSANE? You donated blood? And then you ran farther than from the sofa to the refrigerator?!! Man, no way!"

Concur: Within the running community, where a greater percentage of that population donates, we are not as unusual. I think it is a runner's dedication and commitment to training, taking care of him/her self and reaching a goal that leads to a larger world view.

Spending all that time on the road thinking brings you to: "What can I do with myself? How can I make the world better?"

Donating blood is a very simple, fast and free way to accomplish this. Good, fast and cheap. I like it!

Anonymous said...

And, um, being completed brain dead, I forgot to say: Thanks, Kurtis for your efforts, the info and sense of community. Just one more mile, I promise!!