Monday, November 20, 2006

Big Dogs, Cats and Tough Turkey

The Donna Hicken Foundation Galloway Training Group (take a breath) completed a 26.2 mile training run on Saturday, November 18.
(insert applause here)
Yes, there was plenty of enthusiasm and “Oh My Gosh, I did it!” energy when the runners were greeted with congratulatory medals at the finish — but even more encouraging was the absence of any serious pain or angst from most of the runners. Twenty-six miles and almost everyone was behaving as if they had just finished a Saturday morning jog. That’s pretty amazing.


A thick blanket of stars illuminated the 5:00am sky over Baldwin Trail. The cold morning air stung and made it difficult to appreciate Amanda’s words of encouragement. This was our final long run and we all understood why she was enthusiastic (but it was just so darn cold, and early and …).
Tim wouldn’t be running with us but I was surprised that Jonathan was a “no show”. We began the outbound 13.1 mile run assuming Jonathan would catch us sometime before the turn around. This would not be his first “late arrival catch up run” with the group. If I didn’t know any better I would tell you he enjoys the late starts because it gives him a chance to run fast. I mean, think about it… he’s an attorney. What attorney does not live by the words prompt? Their entire lives are built around time.
Billings, depositions, case filings, timelines etc…

Jonathan never showed before the turn.

I’ve been asked by friends how I’m able to carry on a conversation and run at the same time. “It’s not hard” is my usual uninspired answer. But ask me how I can joke and laugh while I’m running… well this takes skill that I’m becoming expert in.
Saturday morning we were all practicing our running and laughing talents for several miles — most often laughing at ourselves. It’s easy to come up with amusing stories and self-deprecating analysis when you’re running in the cold dark with four friends and most of the sane world is still asleep.
The best line was delivered by Chris after we finished… “Jonathan is now our Big Dog and Loretta is our Big Cat”.
Ok, only five people reading this blog find that funny… but I guarantee you, those five are laughing right now.

Speaking of “Big Dog”…
Somewhere between mile 16 mile and 18 Phil spots a distant lone runner coming toward us at a relatively fast pace. Jonathan’s familiar stride could be spotted from three hundred yards away. He basically blew by us with just a few words and was gone. We all shared the same thought… “He better not catch us”.
Impossible………….or……….. hhmmmmm………. It is Jonathan.
Nahh he’s to far behind.
Funny thing, he put the same fear into the minds of the second group following us.

The entire run took about 4.5 hours to complete. During the last six miles my calves were tightening up, my feet were sore and I was so hungry I could have eaten Phil’s beans (twisted unnecessary comment but five of us are laughing again).
Real food awaited us at the finish.
Every one has a favorite dish and a favorite place to eat. My new favorite dish is hot shrimp soup served over a bed of white rice with a huge mound of potato salad on the side and an Endourox chaser. This meal should be prepared the night before and then served from the trunk of a car on the following morning. Now that’s PERFECT dining.
Thank you Lisa!
At 10:17am Jonathan finished his marathon run. I was barely finished with my first plate of food. The young man is fast. He almost caught the second group that left two hours before he started.
Twenty-six miles in 3:17
Big Dog.

Tough Turkey

Thanksgiving, no holding back.
If you’re family and you haven’t sent money… I know where you’ll be.
Have your checks ready.

Have a safe and enjoyable Thanksgiving.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

you're right -- I cracked up laughing both times !!!

Anonymous said...

I'm smiling too! It was a great run. Friends and laughter; what more could we want?

Anonymous said...

OUR GROUP LOVES BEANS TOO! EVEN IF THEY HIT THE GROUND, THE 10 SECOND RULES APPLY RIGHT? WELL, AFTER SO MANY MILES ANYTHING GOES! CARA LOU

Anonymous said...

Yes, Juan was determined not to let Jonathan pass us. That motivated me at mile 16, but to be honest at mile 23 I couldn't have cared less. We had to slow Juan down and no, he didn't pass us---congrats to all in our group!! Cara

Anonymous said...

nothing like a good laugh while you're running 26 miles. I enjoyed it.