Saturday, December 29, 2007

Resolute

Have you made your resolutions? Do you even care about making resolutions? After 46 years and more than three decades of trying to make New Years resolutions I realize this concept does not suit me. Resolutions (as defined by one on line resource) are:

1. a formal expression of opinion or intention made, usually after voting, by a formal organization, a legislature, a club, or other group. Compare CONCURRENT RESOLUTION, JOINT RESOLUTION.

2. a resolve or determination: to make a firm resolution to do something.
3. the act of resolving or determining upon an action or course of action, method, procedure, etc.


A formal expression of opinion or intention made…? Determining upon an action…?
I mean reeeaaally! Why does this kind of personal effort come into focus at the end of each year? It’s like imagining something life changing takes place and all of a sudden you find it necessary to adjust your priorities and “make a firm resolution to do something” Why does it takes December 31st for so many of us to reconcile?
This is what I asked myself this morning during our 23 mile training run.
Why not approach each day with a resolute attitude? Determine what I want out of every day and then my week. Set monthly and annual goals but always pay attention to each day with the same resolve I have on New Years day.
Yep….
I guess my resolution is to be resolute.
I’ve got a lot of ideas, hopes, wishes and goals for 2008. My focus is always family, personal and then business (in that order of priority). Priorities will get skewed and sometimes I’m scrambling to get the right balance back. This usually happens because I allow it to happen. Granted, some things are simply out of my control but, I know most of my own failures and disappointments have come from a lack of being resolute.
I like this definition:

1. firmly resolved or determined; set in purpose or opinion.
2. characterized by firmness and determination, as the temper, spirit, actions, etc.

“Set in purpose”
Not just “having” purpose but “set” in purpose. If each day you are set in purpose (and it’s principled) then I can’t imagine a year ending with a challenge to make resolutions for the year ahead.
As I already mentioned — we ran 23 miles this morning (WOW!!!)
Congratulations to all the runners and walkers! Donna and Tim were not with us but they would be proud to know that apx. 150 individuals were out on the rail trail.
A lot of resolute souls.

Happy New Year!
Take care and be safe.

No comments: