Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Disconnect

Thinking back on last year I would have managed to steal away 1 hour of my weekend to update my blog. It’s Wednesday evening and I really don’t have the time to post my “running ramblings” but then I worry (in my OCD mind) if this is a sign of growing laziness. Maybe I’m experiencing a slight disconnect from this new group of runners because there are so many of us…

Nope, I think I’m getting lazy.

It’s funny how an older mind outwits a younger body.
Most people my age have bodies that tell their mind… “Are you kidding me!... six miles!... I’m not in shape for that!... lets go back to bed. I’m fortunate enough to have a body that is willing to run but, my mind is distracted and disconnected from the current running and fund raising goals. I’m certain a “Top Ten — Why I’m Distracted” list could be developed however, we know it would be a “Top Ten — Excuses” list.

The four mile run on Saturday, August 10, was slightly chaotic. Runners (200+) are still trying to figure out where they should be slotted with pace groups. The Galloway team is doing a terrific job of managing the herd but, it’s a work in progress. I’m hopeful that we hold our size and possibly expand over time.

After the run we hung together in a sweaty mass and slowly began the process of connecting with each other. There really is something unique about the training concept for 26.2 with Donna. I am confident that I will get my body to outwit my mind so that the 6 months ahead are filled with personal goals exceeded.

Stay with me and please try to be engaged.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kurtis-

I appreciate you making the effort to share your experiences on this, and completely empathize with the lazy guilt that we feel in our "later" 40's. Believe me man, you are an inspiration and I admire your drive and talents enormously.

YOU ROCK!!! Keep it going!

Mike Barnhart

Anonymous said...

I AM SOOO EXCITED THAT YOU SKETCHED A PICTURE OF ME AND TYREE. IT MAKES RUNNING REAL AND EVEN THOUGH I ONLY WIN WHEN I DRESS AS A PIE IN THE "RUN 4 THE PIE" RACE. IT MADE ME FEEL LIKE A "REAL" RUNNER". THANKS! CARA LOU

Anonymous said...

I run because I want to eat. I too feel the pressure of being too big, not the right size. After 2 beers I feel that I look good. So I will be a runner. They come in all shape and sizes right???