Monday, October 09, 2006

Following the Story (part one)

Friday evening after some pizza and a beer I made the decision. Pamela Way was throwing a surprise 50th birthday party for her husband Chris and I asked Margaret if she still wanted to go. Saturday morning I was going to run twenty miles with the training group but Chris is an old friend and I knew that this celebration would be a "can't miss".
The event took place at the Saint Augustine Gun Club so the drive was our only drawback.
What an evening.
It was a party befitting a king. There was food, drink and several hundred of Chris' closest friends. He was fed, poured drinks, roasted and toasted.
Margaret and I made it home by eleven.
The alarm clock disrupted my restless sleep at 3:30am. With four hours of sleep and the slight buzz from Friday evening I questioned the drive across Duval County to the Baldwin Trail. By 3:40am I was checking maps on-line and jotting down instructions so I wouldn't get lost. At 4:40 I was parked in the dark and watching the first group of Galloway runners quietly departing from the eastern lead entrance to the Baldwin Trail. Just after 5:00 Galloway Director Chris Twiggs began preparing the remaining groups for the twenty miles that faced them.
Our six minute mile pace group gathered underneath the full moon. Chris, Brad, Tim, Phil, Jonathan, Loretta and Yours Truly.
Baldwin Trail is a converted, paved stretch of railroad track that runs parallel to I-10. Distance is marked on the pavement at each half mile point along the route.
The early morning temperature was cool and the breeze was light. It would be another two hours before sunrise.
We started our run with the usual banter that marks every run. Before long our group was in a good rhythm and I began to realize I was in better shape than expected.
We reached mile four and I was very upbeat. Eventually Brad (group leader) shared with me his interest in running beyond the twenty miles. I learned that he was preparing for a marathon in advance of the Jacksonville Marathon in December and wanted to increase his miles.

Six weeks ago I started thinking about running 26.2 miles on my own. Over the last couple weeks it has been a "pressing interest”. What does running that distance feel like? Can I do it? Should I try it on my own without the pressure of friends or competitors? When do I try it? Saturday morning Brad set himself to run a marathon distance and as any good journalist will tell you… "Follow the Story". So I did.

Mile ten we departed from the group and continued down the 12 foot wide, pine tree lined trail. The moon shone bright over the inverted triangular space that marked the distant convergence of trees with horizon. Running, talking, joking, checking pace, and walking.
We reached thirteen miles and continued .2 miles further just to be certain we covered the distance. Running would now become a matter of taking back the same chunks that we just added. Every half mile mark moved us closer. We ran very strong through twenty-one miles. The last five miles our legs were tiring and the walk breaks were cherished. The soreness was masked by adrenaline. Tired legs were ignored. Brad was going to add another four miles (he's another really crazy running man) after our finish so I decided to pick up my pace for the last half mile and finish strong. Shortly after pulling away from Brad I heard him shout. I looked back over my shoulder and was surprised to see a police cruiser chasing me down. What the… oh, it's Phil. “Kurtis” he yelled out the passenger window. “How the heck do I use your camera!” I want to get a photo of you both finishing.”

October 7th I completed my first marathon distance. Wow.
Thanks Brad. Thanks Chris, Tim, Phil, Jonathan, and Loretta.
Great stuff. I’m still smiling.

This fundraising effort is about assisting women and families struggling with the devastating impact of breast cancer.
My personal training and fundraising continues to be extraordinarily rewarding. Thanks for ALL the continued support.
Please help me with the financing to "really" make a difference.

2 comments:

Florence Haridan said...

thank you for taking the time to share on this special journey you are on. I so respect feats that push to our limits. Feats that push us to see who we are and what we are made of. I am honored to bear witness to a man who is listening to the call...best F

Anonymous said...

beware of the make extra money response. sounds like a typical advance fee scam.